New Player

Discussion on the Demonworld rules. Tips and tactics are welcome!
Ken

New Player

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:25 pm

Hello,
I'd heard of demonworld years ago but never got into it. I've been following the efforts to bring it back and just saw that its now available in the states. I'm about to take the plunge but have a few questions first.

Are there any Battle Reports, play examples, or turn walk throughs around? I'd like to get a better feel for the game before jumping in.

What size is an average game?

Any thoughts on a recomended starting force? I'm probably go to collect two and I'm initially thinking Orcs and Empire. I'd like to start small so I can get a handle on the rules and eventually be able to demo to other players.

Are there any maps available to look at or purchase? I have nothing even close to a hex map at home right now.

Are there any plans on releasing "starter boxes" for the factions? If so any ideas when?

I think that should do it for now. Thanks in advance.
Ken

jets

Re: New Player

Postby jets » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Hey Ken
I don't know any other english site about demornworld. If you understand german, there is www.demonweb.de and if you prefer french you can go to http://demonworld.free.fr/. On bove pages you habe an activ forum and a nice gallery with pictures.

An average game is between 1000 and 2000 points and the playing time goes from 2h hours to 5h, depending on the goals you set up. Smaller games do not realy make sense. Bigger games are always possible.

For the races I try to give you a short summary.

Impire: They look like in medieval Europe. You can play them offensice and defensive, you can play huge armies or smaller elit units. So perfect if you like to play different styles. You can use dwarve units in your army.

Orcs: They are normaly played offensiv. Normaly bigger units. Realy nice to play. You can use Goblins in your amry.

The Icelords of Isthak: An Isthak army contains beastmans, which are quite stupit, but have a nice punch, humans, icewitches, demons and/or undeads. You have a vide range of different units. Isthak is not so easy to play.

Elves: Small elit units, which are realy strong archers. They have a higher Initiativ, so they will hit normaly first.

Dwarves: I can't say alot about them. Normaly heavy armed and slow. Defensive armies. Depending which Kingdom you play, you can use empier units.

The Warlords of Thain: They look like Scots. Thain has different clans. Depending which clan you play, you are strong, heavy, good archers, etc. You can play big monsters which are quite strong. A slow army, which is also realy difficult to play.

Goblins: Normaly big units. The units aren't realy strong. But they've got there punch from the huge Insects. Offensice armies. You can use Orcs in your army.

Dark elves: Like the elves they have a higher initiativ then normaly. Also small elit units. They look like samurais. They are good in almost every aspect of the game so you can play them in different styles.

I hope I could help you.

Patrick

Arhnayel

Postby Arhnayel » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:42 am

Hello Ken and wellcome to Demonworld !

Beware : this post is huge. If you don't want to spend hours reading it, then summon a Demon and have it read this for you. If you dare trust some Demons... :twisted:

My apologizes if my English is not very good.

In France we usually play between 1000 and 1500 points. Bigger games are not really fun as you can play everything and don't have to make a tactical choice - save if you decide to play high cost units / characters like lvl 3 sorcerers. Most of 1200 points armies are set up with 4-6 units / artillery / monster (like dragons) and 2-4 heroes / generals / sorcerers. Those numbers depend of the army you play, of course.

Are there any Battle Reports, play examples, or turn walk throughs around? I'd like to get a better feel for the game before jumping in.

As Jets said, take a look to demonweb.de and demonworld.free.fr. You can find some battle reports there (I can translate some to you in English if you don't read French - but for the German ones, hmmm... well... oh what a nice Demon there !).

Any thoughts on a recomended starting force? I'm probably go to collect two and I'm initially thinking Orcs and Empire. I'd like to start small so I can get a handle on the rules and eventually be able to demo to other players.

As I said, try to get an army about 1200 points. Try to define your main strategy and then recruit the units than fit well in it. Don't be afraid to try, to test, or to follow a main idea. Nearly everything is possible in this game.

In you want specific advices about Elves, Dark Elves, Isthak and Thaïn, just ask me. With some friends, we wrote "How to play..." guides for those armies. I can also give you some advices for the Dwarves, the Empire and the Goblins. But not for the Orcs.

As Jets said, some armies are hard to play (Isthak, Thaïn, Goblins). The main thing is to enter the "strategy mind" of the army (Dwarves are based upon hevay infantry, Elves are guerilla style, Orcs outnumber everyone, Empire is polyvalent and can play all style etc.). So, when you take a look to an army book, you have to ask yourself what are the main strengh and wealness of this army. If you understand it, you will be able to play this army even if it's hard for the first battles.

Here are some army lists I would play or have played :

- Dark Elves : Spearmen x2, Mounted Scouts, Sar'Geroth Archers with the Banner of Commands, Nadreidis (sorcerer lvl 2), Valdan the Destructor with the Sword of Darkarion (general). Use your sorcerer to reinforce / protect your units, use your Scouts and Sar'Geroth to harass and get in hand-in-hand fights with your Spearmen (when reinforced, they are good).

- Elves : Wood Elf Archers x2, Wood Elf Spearmen, Badger People, Ulathir with the Lords' Bow (general), Alvandrel Elforien with the Cauldron of Life (sorceress lvl2). Use you sorceress to reinforce your units and slow the ennemy and shoot, shoot, shoot with your archers. Hand-in-hand fights are only to achieve wounded units, so avoid them as long as you can.

- Empire 1 : Noble Archers x2, Pikemen x2, Rangers, Furik (sorcerer lvl 1), Dar Kilmor (general). An army full of archers : shoot the ennemy before asking anything ! Use your sorcerer to reinforce your soldiers, and keep the Pikemen to achieve / intercept the ennemy.

- Empire 2 : Noble Mounted Lancers, Crossbowmen x2, Mounted Knights of the Order with the Banned of Victory, Furik (sorcerer lvl 1), Khaibar Bran Sheben (general). Use your sorcerer to reinforce your troops, then let the ennemy come to your Crossbowmen's firing range. Cavalries are here to crush the ennemy once he has been weakened.

- Isthak : Beastmen with hand weapons x2, Ice Witch Furies, Niehenwe the Bloodthirsty with a Magical Cristal (1x Wrath of the Furies), Raidala the Fateful (sorceress lvl 1), Dai Re'Coons, Drogador (sorcerer lvl 1). Use both sorcerers to weaken ennemy (summonings) and protect yourself (Blizzard). Go directly in hand-in-hand fights, with your demons in the center of your forces, and the Furies on a side (let Raidala near them for some spells). You are realying on magic so do not engage your sorcerers ! Try to have your Beastmen impetuous.

- Thaïn (Horde of the Lion) : Warriors x2, Gar'worgar, Barran'yar (sorcerer lvl 1), Hunters x2, Shariga'kyan the Silent Death with a Savage Mask (general). Use your sorcerer to reinforce your troops (using the Aspects spells). The Gar'worgar is sent before, the soldiers behind. Engage to hand-in-hand fights (use your spells to become impetuous if fail to get it by movement and moral) but try to harass the ennemy with your Hunters (hard to play).

I hope this will help you !
The Blessing of Stars' eternal
Although the Knight remains mortal.

Ken

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:40 am

Thanks. That has helped. I'm currently waiting on PayPal to fix a problem then I'll eagerly be reading the Orc book.

I'd still really like to find a battle report to read, so I can get a better feel for the game. If any one knows of one or wants to write one :D I'd be forever greatful.

jets

Postby jets » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:01 am

Battle reports. I will try to do one the next time I play... but this will not be in the next days since I have exams in the first weeks of the next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkVuQ-gz ... r_embedded

The link above is a battle report movie from a german. Therefore the coments are in german, but at least you will see to movements of the units a little bit. It's a 2300 point battle which is already quit big.

Corinthian

Postby Corinthian » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:05 pm

jets wrote:Battle reports. I will try to do one the next time I play... but this will not be in the next days since I have exams in the first weeks of the next year.

The link above is a battle report movie from a german. Therefore the coments are in german, but at least you will see to movements of the units a little bit. It's a 2300 point battle which is already quit big.

Fantastic, thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

You can lease the peace of mind
You bought a mask, I put it on
You never thought to ask me If I wear it when you're gone

-- Sisters Of Mercy

Ken

Postby Ken » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:40 am

jets wrote:Battle reports. I will try to do one the next time I play... but this will not be in the next days since I have exams in the first weeks of the next year.

That's awesome! Thank you. I'm going to check out that video.

Corinthian

Postby Corinthian » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:07 am

I watched the vids, very interesting (even without understanding the lingo), thanks again.

You can lease the peace of mind
You bought a mask, I put it on
You never thought to ask me If I wear it when you're gone

-- Sisters Of Mercy

Wendigo

Postby Wendigo » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:30 am

If you can try to track down one of the old 2nd Edition (deluxe?) Starer Boxes. They had the rulebook, 2 Tin units (1 Empire Berserkers and 1 Orc Guard), 2 copies of a map and a lot of cut-out counters for creating an empire and an orc force. This should be a cheap way for you to delve into those two armies and decide, which units you will buy from Red brick LLC.

Anunnaki

Postby Anunnaki » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:24 am

Thanks Wendigo.

We will have print versions of the 2nd Edition core rulebook and army books at Gen Con, plus a selection of DW miniatures.

Kind regards, James

Return to “Rules”